Translate

Monday, April 15, 2013

Mediocre Peanut Butter


Alright enough with the boo-hooing already… let’s get down to business! My marathon is less than THREE WEEKS away! Yesterday’s 20mi run was crazy and awesome.





I woke up at 3:45am and threw down some iced coffee and a slice of toast before the Office of Readings and Angelus. I thought I’d have time for Morning Prayer as well… but it took me longer to tape my feet up this week. Still trying to get the hang of that.

Out the door at 5:25am. I deposited my water bottles in the bushes of various random houses along the first four miles. Gatorade bottles and Clif energy shots (which I will be using on race day, so I started to train with them some weeks ago) were left in front of a mural of Our Lady of Guadalupe on the wall of the church hall at Mile 2.5. Thus, I ensured my hydration and sodium/potassium fixes for the day’s course.

I think I got in about 6 rosaries, a Divine Mercy chaplet, and about a hundred Memorares. I thought I would be rather out of shape, since I ran less than my planned distance for this past week – opting instead to try and let my feet heal. But oddly enough, I actually felt like this 20mi run was much easier than last week’s 18… as far as muscle fatigue goes anyway. But I think it was mostly due to my body just easing it’s way into shock somewhere along the way. I was exhausted but pumped during the last 4 miles… because I hadn’t been experiencing too much irritation in side my shoesies… and was proud of my apparently well-executed tape distribution. Well I came home to discover that my feet did not look as good as they felt… and my runner’s high has long since worn off, lol. But in the end… I lived. Praised be Jesus Christ! The rest of the day was just as amazing, as I hobbled around doing various things like:

-Eating the best mediocre peanut butter & banana sandwich of my life
-Passing out Litany Run flyers and chatting with people from my home parish before and after morning mass
-Finally getting to say Morning Prayer and Daytime Prayer around 12:30pm
-Mashing up avocados and hard-boiled eggs together
-Attending Latin Mass and praying Evening Prayer in a tiny adoration chapel
-Being invited to dinner by an awesome family – where I grubbed on chile verde. Cuz I’m a Mexican.
-Randomly attending an Ike Ndolo worship/Holy hour and chattin with a few old friends.


Needless to say, I ate much things. And it was good.

*** 

Now I enter the final stages of training before race day. The longest distance I’ll run between now and May 5th will be 9mi... which just means that I’ll have more time to pray for you in front of the Blessed Sacrament instead of on the road, my friends! We came really close to the $10,000 this weekend – just $150 short! God is so good! Perhaps I you will help me pass that mark by the end of the day? What a glorious sight it will be!

For now, I’m off to my morning prayers and then mass (today I am offering my mass for everyone who has so kindly sent me prayer requests even though they can’t afford to help me financially. Please know that I wholeheartedly welcome these emails and messages… and encourage you to contact me with prayer requests even if you can’t sponsor me!)… and then a voice lesson with my home parish priests! Yes, I am still tutoring them in Englishpronunciation. What a gift to be able to use my education to help the Rogationists – a religious community whose apostolate it is to pray for and promote vocations!

On top of my continued training, this week I am spiritually preparing for my first visit to St. Michael’s Abbey this coming weekend. The Abbey is the home of the Norbertine priests whose idea it was to establish a women’s community – the founding fathers of the Bethlehem Priory of St. Joseph! I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to make a mini-pilgrimage down to Orange County and pray with them just two weeks before the race. I’ll also be doing my Sunday run on or near the actual race course this Sunday :).

Please keep me in your prayers as I continue to try and spread the word about Litany Run. The clock is ticking and I would love to fill much more of my upcoming marathon with your prayer requests. Please help me by sharing this with someone today! 

1 Corinthians 9:27

No comments:

Post a Comment